Monday, May 2, 2016

Different Types of Sermons



I recently began my study on Homiletics. Homiletics is the art of preaching or writing sermons. In this study I learned that there are multiple ways to write a sermon. Three types that were stated are Topical, Textual, and Expository. I listed the definitions of these three main types of sermons below:


Topical:

 A topical sermon is to consider the topic or theme of a passage.


Textual:

 The textual sermon has much in common with both the topical sermon and the expository sermon. Like the topical sermon it takes its subject from the text; however, the text itself controls the development of the outline. Other portions of Scripture may be quoted or referred to in support of the points made, but the whole outline is the outline of the text itself, not logical development of the topic.


Expository:

The term expository comes from the Latin exposui- "to have laid open the truth for inspection and understanding." We cannot open up to others what is not first open to us. The expository sermon is not simply an easy way out for the lazy or overworked preacher. It is the exposing of the message of a Scripture portion that provides directly all the main and subdivisions of the sermon.


 This study has shown me the many ways of going about writing a sermon. Different things like gestures and speech, but the thing that stood out to me the most is that I apparently write more like the Topical type. I feel that Topical is what I will use the most when I start writing sermons. Right now, I have begun to write Children's Church Lessons and I have found that Topical is the one I use the most. I am just a beginner to the whole sermon world, but I hope to one day write a sermon from each of these types. I like choosing a topic and then researching for scripture and finally sermon illustrations to expound on what I have learned.


 My Dad is a minister and looking over his sermons, he writes more topical sermons and says to him these are the easier of the three to write. Preaching on your congregations daily life, I believe falls into this category. The ups and downs that a believer has to endure on a daily basis and how as a believer they are expected to handle it graciously and how to do it according to Christ is something that a sermon should cover at least most of the time; basically, because it is relevant to our issues, today.


 It is very important to know how to write each or at least know the difference between these different types so that you will know how to adequately correct or encourage others.  


No comments:

Post a Comment